You Homeschool!!!

2011

"You homeschool?"
"Aren't you worried about your son's future?"
"Don't you worry that he'll just end up flipping burgers?"

We do homeschool in a way called unschooling. We went through a process called deschooling. Once we started to see learning happening all the time and valued all learning as equal we slowly became unschoolers. It took about a year and now we see learning all the time.

We don't use curriculum because we know we don't need to in order to learn.

I think I can give Austin a full, rich life and foster a love of learning without sending him to school or using curriculum at home. He can still grow to be an intelligent, confident man without those things. Whether he makes a six figure salary or not doesn't really matter to me. I'm not looking to brag about myself through my kids career choices.

I can look at people who live in beautiful homes, with beautiful cars, nice clothes, still have money to spare and not see happiness. I see resentment, control, feelings of being trapped, judgement, emptiness. How did their attendance in a K-12 program help them?

A happy adult.  A compassionate adult. An adult who values himself and trusts himself. An adult who still sees the world as a wonderful place full of opportunity instead of a place full of locked doors and brick walls. I think if Austin grew up to be any of these things I would consider my job as his parent a success, even if he was flipping burgers.

But these are my goals. He has goals of his own.

"That's just what you do!" is not a good enough reason for me to do anything.

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2010/11/11/americas-most-popular-jobs/

Comments

Popular Posts