Why Dontcha Come On Over Valeris

2013
                                      

My best-est friend, Valerie. Sigh. She's four months pregnant and I am living 1,741 miles away from her. I am so grateful we were able to arrange a visit for her to come to California so I could get to see and touch her pregnant belly.

For various reasons I was living in California 18 years ago when her first child was born. I won't lie, I'm kinda sad things worked out this way again. I sure would like to get to be closer.


We've been besties since I we were 16 years old. We've been through a lot together.


I love watching her and the yes energy she has with Austin. "Wanna go outside to blow bubbles?" was answered with an eager, "Sure!" even though her neck was tweaked and she'd been awake since 4 AM Texas time.

I remember when her daughter, Savannah, was two and wanted to unlock the door. I wasn't a mother yet, and did not understand standing there waiting for a toddler to figure out how to unlock a door. I remember wanting her to take the keys from her and unlock the door so we could go inside already! She just waited and watched as her daughter figured it out on her own, not wanting any help. It was an example I tried to follow once I became a mother.


We couldn't help, but take a pic of Valerie walking across a log bridge to send to her boyfriend and freak him out. Then I got freaked out and wanted her to get down. She however, felt completely confident, as she usually does.

We got to take a girls trip up to Big Basin to walk through a redwood forest. It was a long drive and we talked the entire way. Such a treat.   


Take a look to the right.  Doesn't the shape in the tree look like an alien fetus? Or is it just me?


Once we arrived back home after our trip to Big Basin I was worn out. The drive was long, curvy and I was driving into the sun the whole way back. Austin wanted to take Valerie to the PEZ museum. I wanted to lay down for an hour and then go. Valerie was there again yes energy and took him, letting him lead the way.


They made it!


We took her to our favorite pizza restaurant in the area, Blue Line...


then showed her some of our favorite card games.   


Her last day here she offered to help me comb out some of my dreads. With her fierce determination (can I say ouch!) we got 11 done. That's a lot for one sitting, let me tell you!


 We love and miss you Valerie!

We were sad when she left, but look forward to seeing her in March after Gavin is born.



Comments

Popular Posts