Video Games Made Our Family Better

2013

When we first started unschooling I asked Austin what was the one thing he wished I would relax most about. He answered, "Playing video games." I figured it was as good a place to start as any, especially since I had so much fear tied about them. I quit saying no when he asked to play and I quit telling him he needed to stop when my anxiety got high about how long he was playing a game.

I did a lot of reading about the benefits of playing video games. With the new information I had- which was based on logic, science and research instead of fear- I became committed to not restricting Austin's video game play. I began to see, not just the learning that was happening, but the happiness he now exuded while playing his favorite video game. I began to enjoy the intensity he had for them. He was not only playing video games, but researching them by looking up information about video games on the Internet, watching You Tube game walk-throughs and reviews, and reading player's guides and magazines. I no longer saw his intensity for enjoying video games as proof of addiction. Instead I saw an intense passion for game play.

While I was learning all I could about the benefits of video games I wanted to stay connected with him. To do this without interrupting his progress I would sit near him with my reading materials, ready to put it down when he would say, "Mom! Watch this!". I slowly became a really good cheerleader for him while he played. I was becoming just as enthusiastic as he was about video games and it was really opening doors in our relationship and his ability to engage in his games fully, which led to more learning.

The day came when I started playing video games with him. They're a pretty big part of our lives now, but for different reasons than they were when we started unschooling. They're a big part now because we all love and play them everyday together instead of a being a big part because it's something we fight about daily. If a game has a multi-player option to it, that's considered a bonus! Austin has set up a place in his room for me with a table and chair so we can play side by side. He's made me a plates of food and brought it to me so I can keep playing with him. I am invited to play in servers with him and his best friend. His friend has even messaged me to play on a server with her when he's busy with something else! Another unexpected benefit to getting over my fear of games! I have 13 year old kids asking me to play video games with them because I am fun, engaging and non-judgmental about video games.

What once divided my family and caused friction has now brought us closer together. There is connection togetherness, passion and joy. There is story telling and deep, existential conversation about life. We've talked deeply and passionately about sexism, racism, morality and empathy for others and ourselves because a video game offered the opportunity through one of their stories.
  


Comments

Popular Posts