The Detour

2011

As we were leaving Arizona and heading towards New Mexico for the home stretch we saw a sign that read "Meteor Crater 25 Miles Ahead".  I thought nothing of it, Monty however immediately got on his iPhone and started researching this crater and tuned in to the AM station that gave all the info one would need to know if they wanted to see the crater. I've known Monty for about 15 years now and I had no idea meteor craters were so exciting to him.


We're going to need a bigger hole.

When we got up to the cashiers booth I tallied up what it was going to cost. $40 for all three of us to get in. I looked at Monty and asked, "Are we really going to pay $40 to get in?" He looked at me and said, "Of course we are!"


                                                

Monty and I next to a stable looking gaurd rail.  One that would prevent us from toppling over and falling to our deaths.  (Not like those gaurd rails over at the Grand Canyon!) I guess they put that $40 to good use.

The crater was kind of interesting. There was a nice little museum to check out.  One of the exhibits they had let you make different size meteors going different speeds to see what would happen if they hit earth.

Honestly, I forgot about going until I was looking through the pictures of our trip. I bet Monty didn't forget and that makes the detour worth it.

Comments

Popular Posts